Newborn sessions take place in my home studio in Covington, LA which is perfectly prepared for your newborn. I keep the room at a toasty 80 degrees so baby is comfortable being photographed without clothes. You have access to my entire collection of high end newborn bonnets, tiebacks, wraps and props. Your custom session is styled by me using information you provide in your questionnaire. I understand it may be a little intimidating traveling with baby. But I promise, it’s not bad! Even a little exciting. Often your newborn session will be your first outing and a very enjoyable one! Below you will find details on how to prepare your baby to ensure a successful session.
Newborn Prep Instructions
In order to give yourself the BEST possible chance for amazing photos, you have to prepare your baby. This is not optional……Not only will this decrease the amount of time for your session, but it will also make sure your baby is easy to pose safely. A happy sleepy baby makes for a happy photographer, happy parents and smooth session. Here are instructions on how to make that happen:
Yes, newborns sleep all day. but they don’t sleep deep enough on their own to be posed in those beautiful newborn portraits you are hoping for. That’s why it is important to prep your newborn for their session. The most important thing is to give baby a little awake time before your session. Let him/her burn some calories so that when it’s time for me to pose them they are in a deep sleep.
- Feed baby 2-3 hours before session. This is usually a feeding between 5-7 am.
- Undress baby and let kick and play naked for a bit in a warm room. Babies tend to be awake if they are undressed.
- Give a nice long bath. Why? Because baby won’t sleep in the tub. Stretch it out as long as you can. If baby still has the cord stump, you can still give a nice long sponge bath in a warm room.
- Next lotion baby up! Take your time and stretch this out as well. Not only will it help with keeping baby awake, but it will also moisturize his/her skin so it is nice and soft for photos.
- After bath, put a loose diaper on and dress baby in a zip-up (or snap or magnetic), loose-fitting onesie. Nothing that goes over their head so that baby doesn’t wake up while I undress him/her when you arrive. A baby will always wake up when you take clothes off over their head so we want to try to avoid that.
- Have a nice lonnnnnng feeding. If you are traveling from an hour or more away you may need to top off baby when you arrive and that’s ok.
- Put baby in car seat and head over. After all of that, the car ride should put baby in a deep sleep so that I can start posing when you arrive. It is ok if baby sleeps on the ride over. Do not take baby out of the car seat. I will do that in a way to keep baby asleep.
- If you can, have a pacifier. These can be life savers during a newborn session. I really only use it if absolutely necessary. Even if you haven’t used one, just for the 2 hours that I am posing him/her usually really helps. However, if you really prefer that we don’t use one, that’s fine as well!
For Mom & Dad:
Photographing baby with mom and dad is my favorite. These are the photos you will look at every year as they grow older and your baby will cherish these first photos with mom and dad when they are adults.
Dads: I ask that you have a tight fitting t-shirt to wear with pants or jeans. I prefer simple soft t-shirts in neutral colors (cream, white, gray). Nothing fancy.
Moms: Same for you. Simple is best. You don’t really see your clothes as I try to keep the focus on your new baby. Keep the color neutral and design simple. Be sure that you have no nail polish as your hands will make their way into the images. Also, I know you may not feel so glamorous after having a baby but do not worry. I only photograph using the most flattering angles and light to bring out the natural beauty in you and your family.
The colors I think work best for family photos are nude/tan, cream, gray and blush. Remember, the focus is the new baby and we don’t want bright colors and busy prints that may be distracting.
Sister(s): I have several dresses available for younger girls. I can provide a wrap that will act as the perfect top, or please have a snug fitting tank in a neutral color. I ask that girls hair be natural (or in braids) and free of bows, headbands, etc. Just as with mom, no nail polish please.
Brother(s): A snug pair of jeans and shirtless or a neutral colored shirt are preferred.
A few additional thoughts:
Plan to arrive around a little before 10 am. A typical session lasts about 2 1/2 hrs.
It is my hope that you enjoy the photo session and feel both comfortable and at home. Feel free to relax (or nap!) while your baby is being photographed. I am truly honored to be able to document this incredible time in your lives and look forward to getting to know you and your sweet baby!
My Home Studio Address:
319 Kirkwood Dr.
Covington, LA 70433
Very easy to get there! If you are coming from the causeway it is basically one right turn off of Hwy 190 right by Lowe’s into my neighborhood. GPS usually takes you through the back entrance for some reason…..
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to call me at (985) 966-7251